Thursday, December 29, 2011

Khir Toyo says that he was not charged with taking bribes

by Malaysiakini (12-27-11)

Former Selangor Menteri Besar Dr Mohd Khir Toyo today stressed that he was not charged with taking bribes, as alleged by his opponents.

“I know many who don’t like me are spreading word that I (was convicted for) taking bribes. In reality, I was charged under Section 165 of the Penal Code, which reads that I had obtained something without adequate compensation from someone who has an official relationship with me,” said Khir in a blog posting today.

NONEKhir was sentenced to 12 months’ jail on December 23 after being found guilty by the High Court for obtaining for himself and his wife a luxury mansion at a consideration he knew was inadequate.

Justice Mohtarudin Baki also ordered the confiscation of the said property under Section 36 (1) of the Anti-Corruption Act 1997. A stay of execution for both penalties was allowed pending appeal.

In his judgment, Mohtarudin said the RM3.5 million which was paid by Khir for the property was “inadequate consideration” and “it was clear the accused was interested in the properties much earlier”.

The judge ruled that the prosecution managed to establish a prima facie case on the essence of their charge against Khir, which was, as a public servant he obtained something valuable through Ditamas Sdn Bhd director Shamsuddin Hayroni for a consideration he knew was inadequate.

Meanwhile, Khir wrote on his blog that he cannot comment on the judgment because the matter will soon be brought to the Court of Appeal. “This is a legal process and (my quest) for justice has not ended,” he said.

He said that although he cannot comment on the matter, he expressed gratitude to bloggers who had covered his trial fairly. “I believe that even if I don’t obtain justice in this world, I will have justice when I meet my maker,” he said.--www.malaysiakini.com

No comments: